Calcium is the most common mineral in the body. 99% of it is in bones and teeth, the remaining 1% in blood and tissues. The latter part participates in the work of muscles, blood clotting, stimulates the growth of cells and the formation of hormones. Since calcium is constantly taken out of the body during metabolism, it is obvious that the calcium supplies of the organism need regular and abundant additions. For children, calcium is necessary and essential for their normal growth and development of bones.
Magnesium is a vital mineral which regulates the nervous and muscular functions. 70% of magnesium in our body is bound in teeth and bones. The bones do not only need calcium but magnesium as well. 60% of magnesium is in our bones, 26% in muscles and the rest of it in tissues and body fluids.
In human organisms, iron can only be found in a bound, soluble and non-toxic form. The main function of iron in the organism is to transport oxygen and binding it in lungs. Additionally, iron is a part of the composition of different enzymes, participating also in the production of energy and the functioning of the immune system. For children, iron is necessary and essential for the normal development of cognitive skills, e.g., perception, thinking, memory and attention.
Zinc is one of the most important minerals in the organism, supporting the overall development of the body. Normal quantity of zinc balances the absorption of all other minerals.
Copper is a mineral which is widely spread in the organism. For each kilogram of body weight, our body has approximately 1.4–2 mg of copper. It can mainly be found in the liver, muscles and bones, but it is also an ingredient in many enzymes. In blood, copper is carried by albumin and caeruloplasmin. Copper deficiency in children may be expressed by the low quantity of leukocytes in blood, anaemia and the depigmentation of hair and skin.
Iodine is necessary and essential for the normal growth of children.
Selenium is a mineral which is quite rare in organism but plays an important role in the composition of essential proteins. In the organism, selenium functions together with iodine. In the case of iodine deficiency, selenium accelerates and aggravates the iodine deficiency symptoms, and vice versa.
Chromium can be found in spleen, heart, pancreas, lungs and brain. Chromium is an irreplaceable mineral which cannot be produced by the body itself.