This kit is designed to be used for estimation of the sperm concentration of human semen. A low sperm concentration would indicate less likelihood of conception but is not the only influential factor. Sperm motility, overall health condition etc. play additional role in influencing the sperm quality.
Low sperm quality can be caused by:
- obesity (high body mass index is linked to low testosterone levels)
- smoking (affects sperm count and motility)
- alcohol (affects sperm count by 33%)
- drugs (cannabis users are reported to have up to 33% lower sperm quality)
- Overheating e.g sauna (hot environment has an inhibiting effect on sperm production)
- tight underwear
Age, genetic background and certain medications can also affect the sperm quality.